Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Best Science Experiment Ever - ESPECIALLY if You Have Kids!

Brian and I spent some time this past week photographing food coloring.  I had told him I wanted to take some pictures of food coloring dispersing in liquid (after watching my tea steep so beautifully at work in the mornings), and he mentioned he saw a cool experiment online involving milk and food coloring.  He said he would be happy to help me take such photos of food coloring and milk, and (as our life balancing act together goes) I was ready to get the ball rolling while he was still de-stressing from the workday.  So, I initially took some photos of my own interpretation of food coloring and milk:





I thought this was pretty cool, but when Brian got around to see what I was doing, he told me I wasn't doing the "food coloring and milk experiment" right.  He then went on to take about a cup of milk, pour it onto a plate, drop in a few drops of food coloring, and follow it with a drop of dish soap.  All I can say is, WHOA.









Apparently, what happens is, the food coloring sits on top of the milk.  When you put in a drop of soap, it eats away at the fat in the milk, and therefore moves the food coloring apart.  This was such a cool thing to see, and I can't wait to do it again.  I could have spent another hour photographing what I saw, but the fire alarm went off in our apartment, and we had to end our experiment...  I've already told Brian we're doing this again sometime, and I can't wait to get much better shots.  Until then, you should try it for yourself, and see it in real life.  Simply mind-blowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment