Monday, November 12, 2012

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

These past few days have been a really, really difficult time for me, photographically speaking.  After a busy, hectic week at work, I was more than ready to take my camera out for the three-day weekend.  I even had a list in my mind started, revolving around snow and icicles, after the foot and a half of powder we got on Thursday and Friday.  I was really excited to get some high-contrast photos of the snow, especially when I saw it was going to be sunny for the whole weekend!  But one thing led to another - our winter tire installation took about three more hours than I expected on Saturday, the sun started setting before Brian and I got to the ideal photographic spot on Sunday (I HATE winter, not because of the cold, not because of the ice and snow, but because the sun is never there for me!), and I woke up today not even wanting to touch my camera.  But I was able to get a couple shots in the less-than-ideal lighting yesterday, and I mustered up the energy to take the old camera out for a stroll this afternoon (although, again, I waited until the sun was starting to set...).

Here are some shots I got that I'm pretty happy about - although next time I'll have to make sure to get my ass out there BEFORE the ideal lighting goes down!





Dinosaur Head Reflecting on the Sidewalk



Salt's Effects on Ice

Off the Charts!



I learned the same lesson for the hundredth time this weekend - which is to take advantage of the ideal time to photograph, even if you don't want to.  Don't get caught without your camera due to unexpected plans, and don't make excuses when the time is perfect to get the shots you want.  I know I've missed out on thousands of opportunities of beautiful, spectacular moments (especially since I've moved away from home) - and I know I'll miss out on at least a few hundred more, but I hope at some point I'll get some sense knocked into me about this!  It's really not such a hassle to take your camera with you, or to pull it out for a couple shots, and you'll thank yourself years from now if you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment