Sunday, November 4, 2012

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

I've spent a lot of time pining over Garry Winogrand and his photography.  He really knew how to work the camera out in the streets, and I decided long ago that, although I would love to be one of the next Garry's, I just don't have what it takes to do street photography.  I don't know why I put such a barricade on my own personal growth with the camera, but I've decided at almost 25 years old that it's dumb to allow me to hold myself back.  So this weekend, I decided to hit the streets of Calgary with no fears of failure, and an understanding that, if I want to become a skilled photographer of the city, I need to start with taking at least ten thousand photos of it.

My dad had sent me an article this past week about the advantage of going out into the creative world with a list in mind.  It makes sense, really - it's much easier to go to the store with a list of groceries needed, so why wouldn't you do the same thing with your art?  So I left the apartment thinking about this:

People
Masks
Looking Up
Looking Down
Winter in the Fall
Things Usually Avoided
Reflections
Water

I found myself interested in taking a lot more pictures, and it also freed my lens to embrace everything I saw.  I was no longer a creep with a camera, or a vulnerable girl with a valuable piece of equipment (as I have had more comments, both positive and negative, about my camera in Calgary when I take it out than I have in my entire life), and it was a lot of fun to practice seeing into the city.  Here are some of my favorite shots I ended up with:

Moonscape in a boarded-up window



 Light reflecting on the sidewalk




an Elvis conspirator 














I've got about 9,800 more shots to take in Calgary before I can be totally confident about my photography skills out on the streets, but I feel good after this first walkabout with a list in mind.  I look forward to creating and executing more lists in the future - thanks for the great insight, Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment