Friday, June 20, 2014

Revisiting Musk Thistles as an Adult

As a kid, I dreaded the summers for a number of reasons - the biggest reason of all being that it was thistling season.  As pasture owners, we had to spend hours upon hours out in the hot summer evenings, digging up prickly angry musk thistles, weeds that seemed to pop up faster than we were able to dig them.  It was an incredibly disheartening task that seemed to have absolutely no end in sight.  

I'm around Lincoln this summer, so I'm able to help my parents with thistling this year.  It's amazing how much our pastures have actually cleaned up over the years, and even more amazing that I was so beaten down by the Musk Thistle that I didn't ever really stop to see the sheer transformational beauty of it.  Here are a few shots out of a few hundred that I took this past week, and I'm sure there will be more to come - because these thistles certainly won't be leaving our area for good any time soon.




























































































































































































































































































































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment